Protect Your Dogs
There has been an increase in the number of reports across the social media platforms of attempted and suspected thefts of dogs in the Monmouthshire area. There has also been many reports of unusual behaviour of persons on foot and in cars with speculation that they may be involved in the theft of pets.
Whilst there may be perfectly innocent explanations for some of the ‘reports’, it is still better to be prepared and alert just in case.
Some quick and easy steps you can take:
- Vary the times of your walks and alternate your routes. Some dogs are actually targeted and even snatched during walkies – be alert.
- Ensure that sure your dog is microchipped and that you keep your contact details are up-to-date. If you have moved house or changed your telephone number don’t forget to update the details.
- Don’t leave your dog alone in your car – Thieves can easily break a window and take your dog … It only takes a few moments and they are gone.
- Ensure your dog always wears a collar with an ID tag with your name and telephone number on it. Try to avoid putting your dog’s name on the disc.
- Have some photographs of your dog taken and keep them safe. They could help reunite you if you are separated. Have some photographs of yourself with your dog, to help you to prove ownership if needed.
- Train your dog to come back when called, and never let them off the lead if you are not sure they will come back to you. Extending leads are always handy, especially if you are in an unfamiliar area where your dog may go off exploring without you.
- Make sure your garden is secure and fit an alarm to the gate so you hear if anyone opens it. Keep your dog in view in the garden, don’t just leave them outside unsupervised
- Beware of strangers asking you questions about your dog and showing too much interest especially people who are not with their own dog.
- Take care when choosing someone to care for your dog if you are going away from home or need a dog walker whilst you go to work. Only use a reputable company or boarding kennels with good references that can be verified.